Which CEs does MSBHLN apply for?

MSBHLN applies for different continuing education hours based on the training content and whether or not it meets policies and guidelines of a specific discipline. These policies and guidelines are set forth by the certifying or licensing board, not MSPHI, MSBHLN or DMH.

For example, in one month’s time, MSBHLN may offer 10 training opportunities. However, only 6-7 may fall under the guidelines for Social Work licensure, 5 may fall under LPC and 9 may provide DMH credentialed credits and so forth.

If a training appears to meet the guidelines of a certain discipline, MSBLHN will apply for those credits.  However, the certification or licensing board for that discipline must approve the training before MSBHLN can list the training as approved.  This application process can take anywhere from 30-90 days depending on the discipline.


Which disciplines or fields does MSBHLN try to service?

Based on the behavioral health workforce’s needs, which were derived from a needs assessment in October 2017, MBHLN works to offer these continuing education credits:

Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES)

Certified Public Health (CPH)

DMH- Addiction Therapist

DMH- Mental Health Therapist

DMH- Peer Support Specialist

DMH-Community Support Specialist

DMH- IDD Therapist

DMH – Licensed Administrator

Licensed Marriage Family Therapist (LMFT)

Mississippi Association of Addiction Professionals (MAAP)

National Association of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC)

National Board Certified Counselors (NBCC/LPC)

Social Work (SW)

We will soon be adding Nursing hours to this list.  Also, anyone needing CEUs in Education, may contact MSBHLN in regards to those hours. We are able to apply for those hours on an as needed and requested basis.

Again, PLEASE NOTE, not all courses will meet the guideline for ALL disciplines and therefore all hours do not apply.

How do I know which courses have been confirmed for the hours I need? For example, I am a social worker and I need to know the trainings that have been approved for Social Work hours.

We update the web site on a regular basis.  If you go to the Training Schedule, find the course you are interested in attending, click on Event Details, and scroll down past the course description and objectives, you will see a list of available CE’s. Those that read “pending” means we have applied for those hours, but we have not yet been approved.  As soon as we obtain confirmation of approval, we will take off the “pending.”  Pending means we are not yet able to offer the CEs but are working to make that possible.  Should we not be approved, the discipline will not be listed.

 So, why can’t MSBHLN just approve the hours that I need?

Once training dates, times and speakers are confirmed, MSBHLN begins making application to the various disciplines to obtain continuing education hours. Each discipline has their own individual application, process and guidelines.  Many require an application be submitted 30-60 days in advance.  Therefore, MSBHLN has to receive approval from each discipline’s licensing or certification board before we can pass on the good news to you!

The entities responsible for approving continuing education hours are:

National Commission for Health Education Credentialing (NCHEC): CHES

DMH credentials: MSBHLN

Mississippi Association for Addiction Professionals (MAAP): Certified Alcohol & Drug Counselors, Certified Advanced Alcohol and Drug Counselors, Clinical Supervisors, Certified Prevention Specialists and Certified Justice Addiction Professionals.

Mississippi Board of Examiners for Social Work and Marriage and Family Therapist (MSBOE): Social Work and LMFT

Mississippi College: Education

Mississippi Nurses Foundation: Nursing

National Association of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC): NAADAC

National Board Certifed Counselors (NBCC): LPC

I attended the training, now what?

After completion of the training, you will be provided an evaluation to complete.  The evolution must be completed in full and you must indicate which continuing education hours you need. We always list at the top of the form which hours are to be provided.  Within 30 business days, you will be emailed a certificate to the email address provided on the evaluation form.  But ALWAYS make sure to sign in on the sign in sheet provided, otherwise, we can not issue you a certificate.

I am going to be late for a training, will I still receive CEs?

Unfortunately, we can not provide continuing education hours for late arrivals or early departures. If you are more than 15 minutes late, you will not receive continuing education hours.

Who do I need to contact for more information?

Please contact Rachel Deer at rdeer@msphi.org